Sonic Systems International (SSI) manages qualified field service technicians who perform maintenance, repairs, and modifications to commercial nuclear facilities in the United States and around the globe.
SSI is looking for candidates with mechanical aptitude and experience to work as a certified Level II Reactor Service Technicians (RSTs) to support nuclear outages in the US. We are looking for individuals with mechanical experience and abilities who can meet the physical demands of the job. Skill based training on specialized tooling is provided to those selected prior to the outage assignment.
Nuclear outage projects run in the Fall and Spring season when utilities shut down for maintenance. Training is typically held in December/January, followed by one or two Spring assignments, generally running from February to May.
- Perform routine maintenance, repairs, and modifications to commercial nuclear power generation plants in the U.S. and in many foreign countries.
- Responsibilities include conducting and supporting activities for in-vessel inspections
- This work requires travel to nuclear stations performing inspection activities during outage seasons, typically in the Fall and Spring.
- Reading and comprehending detailed work instructions in accordance with written procedures and management direction.
- Will work primarily inside the containment building of a commercial nuclear reactor station.
- Work activities are performed in high temperature environments where lifting, carrying, bending, and climbing abilities are required.
- Tasks include inspecting components with highly irradiated cameras, rigging and transferring reactor components, as well as repairing and refurbishing tools and plant components, which may require the use of air impact tools and heavy equipment.
- Some work is performed in a very congested and high radiation area requiring the individual to wear radiation and environmental protection equipment (plastics or equivalent dress, supplied air breathing equipment, etc).
- Technicians can expect to receive an annual dose of 1 to 3 Rem per year, well within the U.S. legal limit of 5 Rem per year.
- Ensuring Nuclear Safety and ALARA are a priority during all aspects of the job.
- Perform Safety Observations at each work location.
Minimum Experience/Requirements Needed
- Must have strong mechanical/technical skills.
- Must have NDE Certification: IVVI Level II (Visual Testing, VT-1, VT-3)
- Ability to pass a visual acuity exam
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Previous Nuclear Experience required, preferably BWR.
- Individual must be proficient with computers for online training, communications, expense and time entry.
- Must be able to obtain Unescorted Site Access at a Nuclear Power Plant (includes background investigation, drug testing, and psychological exam)
- Valid divers license with clean driving record for the last 5 years
- Meet physical requirements of the job
- Able to stand, bend & kneel for extended periods of time
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Able to work heights
- Able to work in a confined space/ highly congested work area
- Able to wear full body protective clothing
- Able to work in radiation control areas
- Complete Granite’s Environmental Health and Safety training modules
- Successful completion of skill specific training (80% or higher)
- Position is located on customer sites & requires 100% travel.